by Erskine Childers
The Riddle of the Sands: A Record of Secret Service is a patriotic British 1903 novel by Erskine Childers.
It is a novel that “owes a lot to the wonderful adventure novels of writers like Rider Haggard, that were a staple of Victorian Britain”; perhaps more significantly, it was a spy novel that “established a formula that included a mass of verifiable detail, which gave authenticity to the story – the same ploy that would be used so well by John Buchan, Ian Fleming, John le CarrÃ© and many others.” Ken Follett called it “the first modern thriller.”
- Download from Amazon.com >
- Download from Amazon.co.uk >*
- Download from Amazon.ca >*
- Download from Amazon.de >*
- Download from Amazon.fr >*
- Download from Amazon.es >*
- Download from Amazon.it >*
*May not be free or available at this link
Got a new Kindle or know someone who has? Check out the ultimate guide to finding free books for your Kindle. Also available in the UK.